Special fx makeup

On
Tuesday 24 May 2016
I love special fx makeup. I love watching movies where actors have the most amazing makeup done, it engrosses me into the film more and I can't stop staring! As a self taught makeup artist, I wanted to try special fx makeup for some time and the perfect time to try this is Halloween!

Back in 2014, I had seen loads of YouTube videos on burns and cuts and bruises so I wanted to give it a go for myself. In the days leading up to Halloween, I decided to buy some liquid latex and fake blood- I was going to get some face paints but didn't see the point as I have a big enough makeup collection to use the colours I needed. As this was my first time trying out special fx makeup, I didn't want to go too crazy so I started with a burn. For this I layered the liquid latex over the skin and while it was drying, I started to pick at it to make little holes which would form the blisters. After I had let this dry I dusted over some translucent powder to get rid of any shine, added a little black shadow to the centre and then went in with the fake blood. This was a messy process as it was very thick and gloopy so trying to get the fake blood to stick to my skin and look like I was bleeding was a little difficult. I managed to find a technique which worked- and ruined 2 makeup brushes, this involved using the other end of the brush to get the blood into the holes I had created, then using the bristle end to drag the blood around as it was a thin, small brush. After I had the blood on the 'burn', I went in with the eye shadows. To give the burn some depth I added a black shadow closer to the centre as that was where it looked the worst. I faded it out with some reds and purples to give the illusion of bruising and sore skin. I finally went in with a little more blood because you can never have too much blood, right? I sent my mum a picture of this burn after I had completed it and she thought I had done something serious to my arm. When I told her it was just makeup, she calmed down.

Halloween last year I wanted to try the same technique but in a different way. As I had work, and had learnt from the year before that the fake blood stains the skin, I didn't go over the top- especially as I was going to use my face as the canvas. As I wanted to turn myself into a 'zombie' I first went in with a really light concealer- I'm so pale that even the lightest shade of foundation is too dark for me. I used the Nars radiant creamy concealer in Chantilly as this makes me look white! Once I was pale, and looking a little ill, I went in with some purple eye shadows around my eyes to make me look tired and to make my eyes seem sunken in. After my base was done, I started with the.. I don't know what I'd call it, looking back now it looks more like a bullet wound than anything else, but seeing as it's on my cheek it's not really a bullet hole. We'll just call it a rotting flesh kinda thing. Anyway, I did the same as I did for the burn, layered the liquid latex and created a hole. Once I had created the hole, I went over the area with more concealer to blend it into my skin- as you can see from the picture below I didn't blend it out as well as I thought I did, but I wanted to make it look as skin coloured as possible. 

To give the illusion of irritated skin I went in with a pink/red blusher to make it look like it was red and irritated. For the actual rotting flesh, I went in with blacks and purples again to give it depth and make it look like it's a deep wound. I spent a while adding shadow then blending it out and adding and blending- this is the best way to do any makeup you wish to build up as it's a lot easier to correct any mistakes. After I had reached the desired darkness, I went it with the fake blood. I didn't add as much this time and I wanted it to drip down- it did however dry a lot quicker then expected so work quickly and take pictures as soon as you've finished! To finish the look off I just used a red lipstick, but wish I had gone over my lips with the concealer and added dark eye shadow in the centre of my lips to give a darker look and appearance. 

Whenever you create a makeup look, whether it be an everyday look, going out, celebrity inspired or special fx, make sure you take a picture and document it. I sent up an Instagram and Twitter as it helps you to connect with other bloggers and gets your name out there. I may not have many Instagram or Twitter followers, but they're slowly going up and the more you post, the more followers you will gain. Everyone starts off with a few followers but if you're consistent- which at times I'm not, you will get there and make a name for yourself.

Xx

Sara
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9